|Do you have a favorite: dogs or cats?
Most people have a definite favorite, and these animals have a lot of differences, but also some similarities.
Check out some important characteristics these animals have:
- There are 37 species
- They are native almost everywhere
- Most felines have fur that has a pattern, such as stripes or spots
- Most have retractable claws
- Cats tend to be silent, but big cats, like lions, will roar or growl
- They usually hunt alone. The exception is lions.
- They are built for rapid dashes, but not sustained running
- They have great senses of sight and hearing but don’t have as good a sense of smell as canines do
- Their front feet have five toes and their back feet have four toes
- There are 36 species
- They can be found almost everywhere
- Most canids are carnivores, but some have a more omnivorous diet
- They tend to be social and often communicate with howls, yelps, and barks
- Most canines have a uniform pattern on their fur
- They are built for long-term stamina, but not rapid dashes
- They have four toes on their front feet plus a dewclaw, while their back feet have four toes
- Their claws are not retractable
- Carnivorous canines tend to hunt together in packs, while omnivorous canines are usually solitary
- Social hierarchies come with their social groups
Learn more about animals with our puzzles!
We have an entire collection of animals to choose from, plus different levels depending on age. Students can learn as they put the pieces together!